January 27, 2014
Here’s an article in the current edition of Inc. magazine that might be of interest to business owners.
My observation of the BC market is this:
– lots of baby-boomer business owners are hanging on in order to improve their financial statements after the 2008/2009 downturn
– US private equity firms and firms from Ontario are sitting on lots of committed capital and have to put it to work. That’s having the effect of making it a sellers’ market for businesses with more than $5,000,000 EBITDA.
– There is a dearth of really good small businesses with $500,000 to $1,000,000 EBITDA which is also making that a sellers’ market.
– The next five years will see a shift with an increase in the number of businesses for sale and fewer buyers after having already put their capital to work.
– It will shift to a buyers’ market.
Enjoy the article.
January 6, 2014
This month Ian Jessop and I talk about:
(1) what it’s like in the early days of starting a business and
(2) what business owners should be thinking about when getting ready to sell their companies.